Microneedling with PRF
What is microneedling?
Microneedling also known as CID (collagen induction therapy) or when used in conjunction with the patients blood known as the “vampire facial” is the use of a hand held pen with very fine needles that pierce the top layer of the skin in a controlled and precise pattern. These micro injuries stimulate the body’s natural healing process resulting in increased elastin and collagen production. The PRF or Platlet Rich Fibrin is driven into these micro injuries to accelerate and improve the bodies ability to heal. This process works to tighten, lift and rejuvenate the skin giving a smoother, firmer, more younger looking appearance.
What is PRF?
Platelet Rich Fibrin is a holistic and FDA approved therapy used to promote faster healing. A small sample of your blood is drawn and spun down in a centrifuge separating the different components of the blood. This allows us to extract your stem cells and platelets so they can be used in conjunction with the microneedling. These cells contain healing proteins and growth factors. Because this is 100% natural, derived only from your own blood with nothing added it is 100% biocompatible. It’s healing properties promotes faster recovery and better results.
Microneedling is used to:
- Increase collagen & elastin
- Reduce wrinkles & lines (excellent for crows feet and lines around the mouth)
- Shrink poor size
- Decrease the appearance of scars (acne/surgical/etc.)
- Lighten or remove sunspots and age spots
- Even skin tone and texture
- Tighten loose and lax skin
- Reduce stretch marks
- Lighten unwanted tattoos
- Stimulate hair grow on balding areas
Who is a good candidate?
Anyone who wants to improve their skin.
How many treatments do I need?
This is different for everyone and there are many factors that play into this such as age, health of the client and what they’re looking to treat. Some things take longer to treat than others. You will notice a difference from one treatment but 3-6 treatments is ideal for optimal results. You may do as many or as few treatments as you would like until you achieve desired results. Treatments are done once every 6-8 weeks.
When will I see results?
Typically you will see a change in your skin within 2 weeks that will continue to improve for 3 months.
How much down time will I experience?
Most people will see some redness resembling a mild sunburn that will last from 12-24 hours. For some it may last a couple of days. Depending on how sensitive your skin is and how aggressive your treatment is you may have more redness. A cooling mask is placed on the face after the procedure that reduces redness significantly before leaving the office.
Preparing for your Microneedling appointment:
- Do not use Retinol, glycolic acids, AHA (alpha hydroxy acids), vitamin A creams or topical medications for 5 days prior to your microneedling appointment, you may continue the use of these products 1 week post treatment
- Please arrive with clean makeup and product free skin
- Bring a headband to keep your hair off of your face and out of the way
- Make sure not to take any anti inflammatory medications such as Advil/Motrin the day of your procedure (this inhibits the healing process)
What to expect at your appointment:
- Review medical history and consent forms
- Before photos
- Application of topical anesthetic
- Blood draw to obtain platelets and stem cells
- Local anesthetic given to numb the lips only if your are also receiving PRF lip injections along with microneedling
- Hydro mask applied for 20-30 minutes to soothe the skin and minimize redness
- Do not take any anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil or steroids immediately following your procedure. These agents interfere with the natural inflammatory process that is critical and responsible for skin rejuvenation.
- Microneedling creates micro injuries to the tissue. These will heal up rather fast, usually with in 1-2 hours. It is important to avoid getting dirt, sweat, bacteria or chemicals on the skin while healing. Avoid washing your face, swimming, dusting, sweating or gardening until the next day. You may have some redness resembling a mild sunburn for a few days.
- The day after your procedure you may clean your face and apply makeup as usual. Avoid exfoliant and glycolic acids, alcohol based toners and prolonged sun exposure to the treated areas for 2 weeks afterwards.
- Days 2-7 post microneedling you may notice dryness and flaking due to an increased turnover in cells. You may use your normal moisturizer. After the first week clients generally notice smoother more radiant skin.